Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Hair & Mud Everywhere, It Must Be Spring!

I've always been Autumn's biggest fan, though Spring is really starting to put in a strong campaign all it's own. There's something about those in-between seasons, such a relief from the season you are leaving, it's easy to find small things to be excited about.

A butterfly comes out of no where, frogs sing at night, everything turns neon green, and the horses start to shine up a mud-repelling coat. 

Of course there's the bad, flys are back, my elbows suffer from chronic curry-comb related stress injury (did you know Welsh moutain ponies shed 5 gallon buckets worth of hair EVERY day for like, weeks?!), mud comes back quickly when 6-day-long typhoons hit... I digress.


Bandon has been showing in the Jockey Club sponsored classes at Rivermont. He is consistently a spaz in the green classes and a superstar in the low rail Hunters. He actually came out Champion the last two shows in that division of all the horses entered, not just the TBs.


So it's time to move up. Moving up means departing from simple lines and bar jumps to a more challenging course with twice as many obstacles, panel jumps, brush jumps, and the dreaded wall. It's time to push a little now, we're both comfortable where we are and more than capable. We've actually jumped a bunch of full courses at height in Jumpers but then I wus out over long breaks and stick him back in the low rails Hunter, no more! The flat portion of the division may still be a challenge for us, made a little more favorable by jumping first I'm hoping that'll help him relax into the group canter... maybe.


We spend as much time doing long slow pasture hacks that include halt work with light rein pressure, as we do riding the arena at all gaits. 


Czech and I tackle the trails and my pasture with gusto. We do slow hill work, 4 hour trail rides, or a few laps in the arena and head out to alternately trot and canter the hills. Lately he has been leaping over the wet-weather stream that runs through the pasture so I've added putting him over a small log once in awhile to our work outs. So far so good that his stifles are maintaining nicely with this.


I'd like to take him back to the ring one day, it's hard to look at how crazy beautiful he is and think I'm NOT using him in Hunters, we'll see. He kind of hates shows. Do you see that tail braid? Braided it drags the ground and loose it hangs a good three inches past the ground, so much so that he was having trouble stepping on it. 


Pegasus and Spotlight are less than thrilled at my "wet saddle blankets make good horses" Spring mantra. Pegasus remains the golden pony, occasionally throwing a challenge to his young riders but generally behaving as well as he can.


While Spotlight likes to keep me on my toes though always managing to take care of the kids he is in charge of. 



The sheep make us smile daily. Graham is super friendly and all over you for petting.


Cloud is aloof but lets me scratch him and rub his head at times. Raven is not so sure of me since I caught him up to trim feet after he came in limping one night. Or maybe it was the vaccines I gave him... yeah, he's pretty sure I'm a butcher just trying to get my hands on a little black lamb. I sneak in some rubs while he eats.


Chickens keep the egg factory in full swing and overall life on the farm is very good. Fly predators round one have arrived and the horses are keeping the grass under control in a way that negates the need for the much-hated grazing muzzles for now. I am blessed.  


A few bits of advice for my fellow barn dwellers who may have taken winter off:

Never think to yourself, "you know, it's been awhile since he spooked"

Don't eat salsa while wearing show clothing. Don't. I don't care how hungry you are.

If the horse is still in the pasture, don't say "I can't believe he didn't roll" 

Lip balm and horse grooming is a no-no

Don't take a Zumba class if you rode more than one horse that same day

Put athletic shoe inserts in your rubber boots (thank me later)

Last, never drive a bumper pull trailer through an area with more sports cars than farm trucks, with kids in the vehicle with you, unless you want them to learn how to swear.  


No comments: