Thursday, July 16, 2015

Mounted Archery

I explained what mounted archery was to my kids as I drove my oldest to archery practice, "I think this Fall I'll try Czech out with it...give him something new to do"

Mikayla piped up from the backseat, "Oh, you mean you're going to be just like Merida!"

As if I wasn't already sold on the idea of combining two things I really enjoy, riding and archery, now a tiny voice put stars in my eyes and I was all in, "Yep, just like Merida".

To get started the first main change is the bow. For bullseye competitions NASP shooters (what my son and I practice at home) use a bare bones compound bow with a 10 to 20 pound draw. Mounted archery though must use a naked composite recurve that has no arrow shelf and of course no mechanical trigger, with a 30 to 45 pound draw.

Nocking the arrow is said to be the hardest part, it needs to happen quickly and precisely so you can hit as many targets as fast as possible. Feather fletching is used on all arrows instead of plastic for the same reason, arrow nocking, you can't take the time to look if your odd color is towards you with plastic vaning.

I've had experience with a recurve, my Mom's is the first one I learned to shoot. Unfortunately it's too long to use mounted, but great for basic practice on the ground. The quiver also changes from a cylinder on your side (ground) versus a flat one strapped to your leg with the arrows side by side (mounted).

Next hurdle is my saddle, riding hunter jumpers I have forward flap saddles that encourage you to be forward and make it easy to get off the horse's back. Most riders I've seen use a western saddle for shooting in the US though Australian stock saddles are also popular. I don't want to invest in either yet, so I plan to dust off the bull fighting (yeah, bull fighting) saddle my cousin brought me from an auction house, that has been decorating my living room.

1) shoot with a 35 pound draw from the ground (pretty much can mark this one off the list already)


2) shoot from the ground holding an arrow in the bow hand, nocking without looking

3) shoot from the ground in motion (walking)

4) get Czech used to the bow from the ground, then mounted

5) throw things off Czech's back

6) have Czech stand calmly nearby while I shoot target from the ground

7) practice nocking while in the saddle

8) nocking shooting at a walk, dropping reins

9) trot

10) canter

11) accuracy

12) speed

Oh yeah, this is going to be fun!





No comments: