Sunday, August 30, 2015

Hunter Pace at Kingston Downs, Take Two

A Hunter Pace is basically riding your horse on a simulated fox hunt. The pace hosted by In Unison Farms over Kingston Downs acreage (Atlanta Steeplechase) is divided into three divisions.

The slowest division would mimic a hunt day where no game scent was caught, the fastest division would be on the trail of multiple foxes, and in between was scent caught and lost. The pace has ideal time sets for each division that riders do not know ahead of time, we do our best to guess and pace (hence the name) our horses over the course. Yesterday's was ten miles and the fastest ideal division time was an hour and four minutes. Going above or below the optimum time is penalized, those closest to times place, extra awards are given if you find and retrieve photos of hidden foxes through the course.

The weather was decent for a large turnout of a hundred or so horses yesterday, Czech and I arrived and he immediately was overwhelmed by the constant running and calling of horses. A huge drawback to training alone/trail riding alone is when new horses are around mine tend to need a little adjustment time. A year ago when Czech and I tried our first pace together we came with friends, within that group I could not get my horse to settle (rearing, half passes, bolting) and we ended up on foot walking back.

An ending that I wasn't eager to repeat.

Alone at this event, I had planned to *try* and space him so that we were alone as much as possible; difficult given the large number of horses and that all three speed divisions were on course at the same time.

As groups of riders headed out on their horses, Czech became more and more agitated. Knowing that working him down wasn't possible, I trailer tied him and let him sort through it for an hour, when he began to look to me and heave deep sighs, I threw a leg over and we went on.


The first few miles alternated some stretchy trotting and canters, before coming out onto rolling hills where I let him give more. He opened up into a gallop that was faster than I've ever run on him and my evil brain thought, "damn I hope he doesn't trip on a gopher hole..." Back into the woods I rated him, he was as amped up as he could be when we came up on the heels of our first group of horses.

We passed them at a walk before I let him move on away faster. Note here, never once, not a single time did I need to ask Czech for any speed; it was always allowing him to go.

After we passed the second large group of horses in the woods, Czech thought he understood the game. Run down horses, pass at a walk, then run more.

My rubber reins were soaked in his sweat and I wished I'd had worn gloves as he asked me over and over again to run. His heavy breathing and the miles we'd already crossed made me want to force him to walk though the jig I was getting instead was probably harder on his heart rate than just letting him go on.

Out in the grass, we came up on the steeplechase course which was awesome, then back in the woods on some steep down descents followed on the flat by low hanging branches. As I leaned to Czech's neck to avoid the limbs, he took my jockey position as his cue to GO and we'd be off again.

About 2/3 in, I achieved a relaxed walk on a loose rein. We entered a group of horses and held our walk until another small group passed us at a canter, it was too much for poor Czech's brain and we didn't relax again until we hooked into a team of two that he liked, one of them being an equally sweaty jigging OTTB.

We broke off on our own as the last hills came up and I let Czech open up again. Anyone who tells you to wear a horse out before getting on has obviously never ridden a Thoroughbred, they would run themselves until their heart burst if you let them. It's your job to be the brains to say "enough, breathe, walk".

Czech was hearing me easily now when I said those things and we came upon the finish line in with a group of pony riders.

From the adrenaline of running and passing all the horses, to nothing but us out there alone, the sudden appearance of a large group of loud people flashing cameras at the finish was too much. Czech spooked and took us sideways into a soybean crop.

Luckily he didn't dump me 50 yards from the finish.

Back at the trailer his heart rate returned to normal very quickly, and we shared a Carolina barbecue sandwich with friends. The skies opened up and dumped rain as we waited for ribbons after the last horses came back, and we took fifth place in the fastest division.


I can't say yet if I'd do it again, while I had a lot more control this time than last and open gallops are heavenly, I'm not completely convinced that the moments of total frenzy are good for me or my horse. He seemed well and happy enough last night and again this morning, but I haven't gotten back feeling in my ring fingers yet where the reins were threaded. My goal was to not end up on foot or have a huge fight with him and I'd say we did both.

No comments: