Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Jesus Take The Wheel (aka, No Reins No Problem)

Starting out with the mounted archery, there was one big issue staring me in the face; how was I going to get Czech to ride with zero reins while holding out a bow that looked like a whip? No exaggeration, you drop the reins totally while shooting, nocking the next arrow, and shooting again (up to three times on a Korean course). That's reins sitting on your horse's neck from the time you say "go" to the time you pull up at the end.

Truthfully, Czech is amazing. He totes my kids around and doesn't bat an eye when deer try and run us down on a trail. He can also be a fire breathing horse once you hit the ignition switch. You may recall the Hunter Pace we went on that ended with me on foot for a few miles, or that time he decided he didn't want to do hunter flat classes anymore...


His typical naughtiness is leaning on your hands, especially once you hit the faster gaits.


Then, once he'd put a freight train on your upper body, he'd tuck up behind the bit and you were left with nothing on the other end of your reins as he flew underneath you.


Obviously the idea of dropping the reins on him was hard to imagine.

Over the course of a month, I began to ride him with my hand at the buckle (in a french link) and work on neck reining and halting with just picking up the reins. It wasn't perfect and as we built up to a canter he did take off on me a few times, Czech is a lot of horse to take off on you too, at 17.1 hands he has a large stride and his feet hit the ground like thunder!

Each day he got a little better until I hardly had to ask him before he would respond, with no rein movement at all. I realized that our usual long neck stretch breaks weren't needed anymore because he was able to stretch as needed the entire session.


Letting go of the constant battle with his head, we found this neat little dance between us where conversation could happen. I wasn't fussing, he wasn't fighting, and we just sort of talked to each other. 

Today marked the first crisp morning we've had in months and my big horse held himself up all on his own with no bit contact as we came around in loops at a canter to hit each bale I pointed an arrow at. A hawk flew over calling it's mate behind it and I swear it was like the world was in sync for just a second in my little patch of Cohutta.

Untacking in the barn, Bandon was snoozing away in his deep shavings, hopefully soaking on the successful canter work we'd just done. I took the sheep down to the arena for turnout and even though Graham is now more sheep than lamb, that didn't stop him from climbing into my lap to curl up for a cuddle in sun that felt good instead of punishing for a change. To say the least, it was an amazing day.

I strongly encourage you all to get in a round pen on an English saddle and let go of your reins. It's amazing how light you may think you are with your hands, that you find isn't true. Or how balanced you think you are when that isn't the case. If you get brave, take it out into the arena and really find it. You'll tune in to your leg and seat, find that perfect middle balance with the horse, and work the heck out of your abs. I ride an average of 10 hours a week and I work out each week away from horses to combat my I-once-carried-a-litter-of-babies core. I STILL had to struggle a little to really support myself without the reins after a few laps and I've always considered myself a light handed rider with good upper body control.

Czech and I have a Hunter Pace this Saturday I'm excited to try, we'll see if this new rein work for mounted archery carries over when he goes into adrenaline mode around all the other horses running around. If I end up walking this time I expect it'll be our last try at public paces. Fool me once...

On the archery front I think it's time I set up to train for the Texas style hunt course... if anyone is looking to offload some 3D targets let me know, Bandon (who still spooks at the hay targets) would be so pleased to see those set up during our jumping sessions, haha!





No comments: